I made this casserole the other night and it was a huge family hit – we love anything with black beans and sweet potatoes, so this was one I had to try. This recipe originally comes from Lee Hersh, of Fit Foodie Finds – however the recipe has been replaced on her site with a slightly different one, so I’m posting my version, based on the original with modifications. We make a ton of recipes from Lee so please check out Fit Foodie Finds for other awesome meals!
The recipe is super simple, just combine all the ingredients for the casserole into a casserole dish, cover and bake. You can easily change out ingredients too, if you don’t like corn, or want to add some bell pepper and onion – just keep about the same amount of liquid to ensure the quinoa cooks, but the casserole doesn’t end up soggy. The sauce can be made in just a minute – if you can’t find a good vegan yogurt, sub out vegan sour cream, or if you want to skip the processed ingredients altogether, you could make a similar sauce with tahini and water, or do a cashew cream based sauce. I used my favorite spice mix from Trader Joe’s – the Chili Lime seasoning. You could also use ground chipotle, plain chili, whatever you like best!
Mexican Quinoa and Sweet Potato Casserole with Chili Lime Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (I used a tri-color blend)
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans diced or crushed tomatoes, with the juices
- 1 can corn (I used a fire-roasted canned corn from Del Monte, Trader Joes makes a frozen version of this that would work well too!)
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
Chili Lime Yogurt Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 single serving container of vegan yogurt – I used Nancy’s Oat Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Trader Joe’s Chili Lime seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Combine all casserole ingredients in a large casserole dish, and mix well to combine.
- Cover with tinfoil, bake for 75 minutes.
- Top with sliced avocado, lime juice, chopped cilantro and Chili Lime Yogurt Sauce!